A. OK, you are thinking you need to join a writers’ group but you wonder what you are going to get out of it, right?
There are a few benefits in joining a group like the Camden Writers Inc.
- When you go to your first meeting, we might ask you to read your short story or poem aloud to a group of people you just met, and it might be a bit intimidating at first. But you can relax and overcome your fear and get comfortable because we were in your shoes once and you will quickly realise the benefits of joining our writing group.
- When you join the Camden Writers Inc, you will get valuable feedback. As a new writer, you might have a goal to get your story or poem or novel published for other people to read. As you write your story and share it with the members of the Camden Writers Inc, you can feel that this is a safe place to share your writing and get genuine and valuable feedback so you know what is working and what is not. When you do some critiquing of your own to someone else’s writing, this exercise can even show you ways to improve your own work.
- When you set writing goals for yourself, and share them with your group, such as our homework assignments or our spontaneous writing, it becomes easier to stave off procrastination when other people are counting on you.
- When you finish your short story, poem or novel, you could ask and choose writing friends from your group to read your work and provide you feedback. As fellow writers, your Camden Writers peers will provide you with wonderful insight into the literary elements that make a great story, like structure and character development and will point the simple mistakes in spelling and grammar that you might have missed. This is what we do during our writing homework each week.
- Remember, you are not Robinson Crusoe here. A regular writing group can help you become a better writer. Our writers are at different levels. Some have been writing for a while and have published their books or stories. Others are like you just starting. But all can share their experiences and give advice on the writing process. The Camden Writer’s group is a support group where members are here for each other!
- Most important, you will ALWAYS receive encouragement from other members. When you get stuck, and it happens to all of us, it is extremely easy to throw in the towel or to procrastinate and blame it on ‘writer’s block’. It is easy to quit writing. When you find the right writing group that works with you these moments will pass because the other members will be supportive of your endeavour by giving you words of encouragement to assist you and help keep you moving toward your ultimate goal!
So join the Camden Writers Inc today by visiting our membership application page and completing the application online or you may download the PDF and bring it with you to our next meeting.